Got Fruit?

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. —Galatians 5:22-23

June 25, 2009

hannahlee

June 25, 2009

Post  hannahlee on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:25 am

Hey Team,

Many apologies for my lack of posting for the beginning half of this week. I haven't a passable excuse but it's just been event after event all week long... I'll bring it back together though. On a good note, I AM DONE HIGH SCHOOL. Hahaha.

Isaiah 50

4 Morning by morning he wakens me
    and opens my understanding to his will.

I like this verse because it offers encouragement for those times when we cannot hope to understand God's will for us. It reminds me that just as God will not always give a Yes/No answer right away but will sometime ask you to just wait, our ability to understand His plans will not always come with the hour but may take some time for us to wait and interpret it better. Sometimes He sets things in our paths that may seem ridiculous at the time and we cannot seem to make any sense of it, but this verse gives me hope that with every next day, so long as I continue to ask, He'll help me to achieve that understanding Smile

11 But watch out, you who live in your own light
    and warm yourselves by your own fires.
    This is the reward you will receive from me:
    You will soon fall down in great torment.

I just really like this analogy. Once more, a humbling reminder that we cannot live by our own accord, without God.

IT IS SO HOT. Aigoo....

- H

Admin
    Admin

Re: June 25, 2009

Post  Admin on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:47 am

Isaiah 50
    "When I came, why was there no one? When I called, why was there no one to answer?"
    This verse talks about people having trouble trusting in God. I think it's easy for us to say, "trust and have faith in God", but when we really think about it, it's very difficult to put complete faith in God whom we can't physically see. And I think that is why being a believer is extremely hard- because we strive to have faith and trust in God, who makes us doubt at times. From this verse, I realized that it's natural and common for people to turn away from God at some point of their lives. However, it's important to note that God is always on the other end waiting for us to turn back and ask for His support.

"I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard."
    You know the verse in the New Testament about turning your other cheek when someone slaps you? I feel like this verse is very similar to that verse, and I have to say that I've always struggled with the idea of letting others do these things to you- the idea of trusting that God will do something about it so we should not be slapping them back. From thinking hard about this verse and the one in the New Testament, I've kind of come to a conclusion that, when God tells us to do these things, He's challenging us to humble ourselves and think about what God would want us to do in these situations. If we were to act on our instinct and hit the other person back, it would be a selfish act out of our own thoughts and motivation. So, from God telling us to turn the other cheek and letting people beat us up, I think that He is trying to teach us to, in every situation, resort to God and trust in His power.

crys.kim

Post  crys.kim on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:16 am

i cannot begin to tell you how bummed i am that the church picnic is cancelled
    i was beyond excited for some kalbi action
    buttt i guess not
    im so hungry right now
    i think ill go eat after this
    even though its past 9....

so today i started philippians with chapter 1.

the first section paul tells the people that they are always in his prayers. and he says that he loves the people because everyone, including himself, shares the grace of God together. he continues to pray and ends by stating that he prays that our love will grow more and more with knowledge and insight so that we learn to know what is good and be pure and righteous through Jesus for the praise and glory of God. through paul's attitude in this passage, i remembered that we have to love everyone because God showed grace, not only to me, but to all the people. and God loves everyone. pretty simple concept but it was as good reminder. and i think this should be the same prayer that we are praying- that the love we have right now will grow daily with knowledge and insight and that this will teach us to know what is best and help us keep our purity and righteousness- and that we remember that this will be done through Jesus Christ and everything will be for the praise and glory of God. this is a pretty elementary concept, but a very important one that still needs to be prayed about.

the second section really spoke to me. paul was imprisoned in this passage. it boggled my mind how paul was still joyful even though he was in the worst condition possible. he saw the purpose of his situation- that it has helped to advance the gospel by showing everyone that he was in chains for Christ. this is definitely an attitude that we need to adopt. in our hardships and the hardships that we will face we have to take paul's example and see the greater purpose that God has planned for us. perhaps he wants to stretch us, teach us a lesson, teach someone else through what we're going through etc. whatever it is that we're going through, God has a purpose and we should rejoice like paul did.

then paul touched upon something really interesting. he talks about people who spread the gospel. he says that there are people who preach out of selfish ambition and rivalry and those who preach out of goodwill and love. i obviously thought paul would continue and say that we need to have the right mindset for preaching- that we must preach out of love. but on the contrary, paul says that the important thing is that Christ is preached, regardless of the motives. im sure it is better to preach with a loving and good heart. but the important thing is that the word is being spread to those who do not know. but we should definitely try to spread the word with a loving heart.

i was really inspired by paul in this chapter. his passion and love was unbelievable. he always rejoices in everything and says that he hopes that he will have sufficient courage so that he will be able to exalt Christ with his body- whether by life or by death. then he says "for to live is Christ and to die is gain." he is torn between the two: if he dies, he will be with God, but if he lives, he will be with us, the people. he continues by saying that he will remain in the body and stay with us for our progress and joy in the faith and that by him being with us, our joy in Jesus will overflow. paul's just on fire for God and does everything he can for God's glory and to help the people grow in love and faith.

lastly he tells us that we must live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ and this will show that we stand firm in one spirit. if we strive to live by Christ, we must live a life worthy of the gospel of Christ. how can we spread the gospel, if we are not living by it? that would simply be ineffective and hypocritical. and like paul says, it will only show that we do not stand firm in God. like mentioned before, we are not worthy people. we do not deserve God's love. we do not deserve God's grace. but we were still given these things out of grace. and we were called to show God's love to these native people. we don't have to go on missions, but we get to. and to be worthy of the gospel of Christ (which im not sure if we can ever fully reach that point), we must live our lives accordingly. we must maintain our purity, showing love to others, being forgiving, etc. and through our actions we will show that we stand firm in God. also as we know, actions speak louder than words. our lives should be living examples of God's love and our praises for him.

so i think i was kind of all over the place
    but i hope you guys can sort of get the idea
    haha today's devos made me think a lot
    it was good
    and now im drained and hungry haha
    this calls for some food
    im watching transformers tomorrow with our ohanaaaaaaa yeyeee

Roh

Post  Roh on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:34 am

Hey everyone! It's almost Friday, meaning that it's almost time for the retreat Smile I hope that you're all excited to "bond" and to learn a lot from this weekend. It's supposed to be really HOT once again this Saturday, so bring your waterguns and swim shorts. I'm just joking, but that's kind of a good idea. I'm bringing mine.

I read Isaiah 50 as well. It's about being obedient and faithful to the Lord. I trust God that He's with me wherever I go and that He's always got the best in store for me. And for the last little bit, I've always been trying to do my best to follow His will by turning away from worldly wants and standards, staying away from temptations, and not being influenced by the many. Sometimes it seems like what God is doing is really unfair and that you should just take control and do things on your own.

I encourage you to read Isaiah 50:4-11 on your own time...it's really encouraging.

Roh

esthershim

Post  esthershim on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:25 am

wow, the thunderstorm was scary..not that i was scared
    another hot day, and i got my first mosquito bite Neutral

Idea what's happening with rides on saturday?

Suffering for Doing Good
    1Peter 3:8-12
    "Live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers(&sisters) be compassionate and humble."
    All of us should act good and humbly throughout the duration of our lives. When bad things are thrown at us, we shouldnt throw bad things back at them. Balancing an insult or a put-down with another insult doesnt even the situation out. Instead to throwing another insult, we should repay with blessing.

"Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it"
    Jacobpk

Post  Jacobpk on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:29 am

Today was humid. haha. but i saw a rainbow today, it was sick.

I really like this chapter haha, most of you guys said it for me. Really encouraging passage!
    See you guys saturday!

yena.an

devo

Post  yena.an on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:51 am

helloooooooo flower
    i was disappointed that it didnt rain so much today..although i did like the rumbling sound of the thunder.
    today was a special day for my family because it's our 11th anniversary in Canada. hehe
    and michael jackson also died today :S, a shocking news which i would have never known if i hadn't gone to work this evening.

anywaysss today i read about making good decisions.
    the passages that went with this topic areeee: 2 Chronicles 10:13, and Galations 6:7
    we've made many decisions in the past and we have many decisions to make in the future. some are minor, and some are major.
    but whatever they may be, we need to make them with God in mind. Billy Graham says to seek God's will in every decision. Pray. Read the scriptures, seek advice from our godly friends. we need to ask the Holy spirit to guide us.
    I know that God loves me, and His way is always the best way.

yena.an pig

Daniel

Devo

Post  Daniel on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:13 am

Hey....lol how r u guys? hope you are having better week than I have...Some things personal things happened to me so...yea...anyways heres todays devo...

Romans 8:29

29. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

This is written by Paul. Paul is telling us that we were chosen to be Christians and God made each of us in his image and in the image of Jesus. Most of the time, we don't show the Christ in ourselves to others. We often get angry, we often get involved in argument. In our case, it happens among the teammates of our natives missions team. We try to understand each other but we lose our patience. I think we should try to understand each other more. This is one of the reasons why some teams fail because teammates aren't ready. If we show more of the Christ's perspective among the teammates, then I am sure that we will unite in Christ as one and we will be able to show the Christ perspective to the natives.

gracekimm.

Post  gracekimm. on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:07 pm

heyy team !
    sorry for the late post -.-
    so yesterday.. was so humid, and then it started to rain !
    i was at the park playing soccer, then it started to poor out of no where ! hahahaa

so i read 1 Peter chapter 2 .
    when i read verse 4, it really had me flashback to a lot of moments, where i was judged, and put down because i was a Christian. A lot of my 'friends' made fun of what was in the bible because they did not believe, and people would say things like "God doesnt exist, just so you know... and by the way im an athiest" and i knew that satan was trying to shake me, and break my faith, and i knew.... it should have i guess, but it didnt. I never doubted God for one second, and i just ignored what they were saying to me. I didnt try to shove Christianity down their throats by fighting back at them and like trying to have them digest things they couldnt accpet or understand at that split second. I never doubted, but it still gave me a hard time. Being the only Christian, and having stubborn 'friends' hahaha yeah, that was hard. I felt like i was in a Christian bubble, and i felt really alone and seperated when i was with them. Yeah, i dont hang out with those kids anymore...obvi. But i still prayed for them, that they would change one day and accept God. Even if it wasnt throug me , that someone else would come along.

Then i read that verse, and its my first time looking at it since. But it went through my head so many times

"As you come to him, the living Stone, rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him"

We're going to get put down a lot from those who dont believe, and its guaranteed that we'll keep struggling, but we may be rejected by men... but we were hand picked chosen by God. We are His precious children! (1 John 3:1)
    We may go through tough times, but how lucky are we ?
    We get to have God in our lives, and know that we will live forever in His kingdom. I mean think about it... All earthly things, power, knowledge will fade away, but God remains forever. He will never fade away. He is everlasting. (1Peter 1:24-25)

amennn cheers

so today is nice and sunny , and its not too humid, its actually decent today Very Happy
    i think im gonna go for a jog and play some basketball ... swimming, then hit the mall Razz HAHAHA

ill be back tonight to post todays devo Smile
    have a good day everyone !!!! I love you

Joseph

Post  Joseph on Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:05 am

Sry for not posting yesturday, the rain from yesturday broke down the power and for some reason my internet connection wasnt working, so i just read yesturday, and im just going to write what i learned from yesturdays devo...so i read ephesians 2.

Ephesians 2

v8. For it is by grace you have been saved through faith and this not from yourselves it is the gift of God/

It is through faith that God has given us peace in you and in this world. It is a gift from God that he has given us faith, and that brought grace and peace to you. So in this chapter i learned that God has created us for a reason. Just like in verse 10 it says the word "Workmanship". God has created us for a reason, even before are birth. To fullfil God's will for us doing good things for God. We need to show the world who we are. And we are here to help others, to serve them. We follow the Lords commandments. amen.

AMEN....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:34 pm